While it is true that many people laugh when someone tells them that they have a snoring problem. It can be a serious problem for not only the snorer, who’s natural sleep is disturbed, but also their partner, who cannot sleep because of the incessant snoring. So here are 5 simple tips on how to stop snoring that hopefully will allow you and your partner to get a good nights rest.
1. As the major cause of snoring arises when there is a narrowing of the airway passage, one reason this happens while you sleep is due to poor posture. If you can simply elevate your head slightly by the use of one or two extra pillows, this can be enough to unblock the restricted airway passage, and reduce or eliminate snoring all together. To ensure that you do not suffer neck pain from the new regime, it is wise to introduce one pillow at a time, and make sure they are comfortable. An anti snore pillow, for which there are many to choose from on the market today, can do this for you, and this could be enough to cure your snoring.
2. Another quick tip that could eliminate, or reduce your snoring significantly is to washout the nasal passage each night. This can remove any blockage in the airway passage, and may stop any vibration caused by the blockage during sleep that causes snoring. To do this effectively you will need a saline solution product that is water based and therefore safe to use. It is important to read the instructions on these saline products carefully to ensure your safety.
3. Another simple stop snoring tactic is to sleep on your side, rather than on your back. This is because on your back, your tongue is likely to rest on your pallet, thus causing a vibration when air passes through which brings forth the snoring sound. To achieve this while you sleep you can try sowing an old tennis ball into the back area of your nightwear. This will of course take some getting used to, but eventually to avoid discomfort during sleep you will naturally begin to stay on your side. There are also some anti snore pillows available that will again do this for you by making it literally impossible for you to lay on your back due to the shape of the pillow.
4. It is a well known fact that dairy products, alcohol, some sleeping pills, and fizzy beverages can cause a mucus build up in the nasal area, which again can cause snoring if these are consumed just before bedtime. Current advice on this seems to suggest a minimum period of four hours from taking these products, before going to sleep. This gives enough time for any blockage to dissipate in the nasal passage.
5. This final tip on how to stop snoring naturally involves smoking – If you smoke, this can lead to breathing difficulties and one of the side effects of this is snoring. Even though stopping smoking is the best solution to eliminate snoring symptoms, if this is not possible then a significant reduction in the level of smoking per day can be enough to alleviate your snoring.
Hopefully these 5 tips on how to stop snoring naturally will be enough to eliminate your sleeping disorder. If however your snoring is persistent and heavy, it could be a sign that you have developed sleep apnea. If you suspect that you may have this condition it is vital to your health that you seek advice from a physician as soon as possible.